Sunday 16 March 2014

Obstacles happen... overcome them

Hi guys :)

Sorry I've been a bit quiet for the past few weeks, I have been doing some major soul searching and re-evaluating. 

Two weeks ago I experienced something I haven't gone through before in my weight loss / get fit journey. All my positivity slipped away and yes, I had a melt down. When I realised that I was well and truly in the dreaded 'plateau' stage I freaked out. Hoping for some good news, I re-took my body measurements, which showed no results, and because I was stupid enough to do it at the end of the day rather than the morning, some measurements even showed as going up.
It pushed me to breaking point and yeah, I had a bit of a cry. 
The frustration and disappointment in myself at that moment was so overwhelming. Just knowing that I am so close to reaching my goal, and I'm working so so hard, it felt like a cruel joke that my body would give up on me now. 
Throughout this journey I have made it my mission to remain positive at all times, and not sure what exactly it was that pushed me over the edge, but I guess everyone has their time.


weight loss blog fitness motivation inspiration shrinking
Don't worry, I haven't given up. I have come too far to even think about that. I love my new life more than anything, so there is no danger of going back to the old Eszter. I took this moment of weakness as a wake up call to realise that it is so important not to get too obsessed with the numbers...whether it is the number on the scales, the number on the measuring tape, or the number with the calories you're eating. I think anyone on this sort of journey, whether it is to lose weight or to gain, it doesn't matter, it is so easy to get sucked into the numbers game.  


I took a couple of days to re-group and did some research on how to move forward. 
I actually ended up realising that I wasn't eating enough to keep my body going. I have been eating the same number of calories from day 1 of this journey..no change at all, despite increasing my activity by like 90%. I discovered this might be partly why progress has slowed because I may have actually slowed down my metabolism. So after some more researching, I've now upped my calorie intake to a level more suitable for my new lifestyle. It's only ended up being about 200-300 more per day, but I am hoping it will make a difference. 
I've never deprived myself in my new way of eating, but for the amount of activity I do nowadays, it wasn't enough. So if you're in a similar situation.. try eating more (good stuff) or at least re-evaluate your needs.

Second, I have changed up my workout routine at the gym. I have added in a few new things like interval training, using new equipment, strength training and next week I'll be meeting with my PT to get into some more serious weight training. 
Something good to look into is the F.I.T.T principle when you are trying to change things up.. this is adjusting the Frequency, Intensity, Time, Type.  

I haven't checked my weight for a while, and will probably do so next week, just to "see", but I've made a promise to myself to not get too caught up on those numbers again. 
I love the exercise, I love how it feels, so I just need to keep going with that and eventually, I'll get there!!! 

Remind yourself of how far you've come, don't focus on how long you have to go and just try to remain positive and trust your body.

Till next time...


weight loss blog fitness motivation inspiration shrinking





No comments:

Post a Comment