Thursday 12 June 2014

Will strength training make me bulky?


Hi guys,

The short answer is...NO!
I wanted to talk about strength training..and the wonders it will do your body and your weight loss efforts.
When I first hit my 'plateau' back in March, I was told to start proper strength training. I'd been doing body weight type exercises for a few months by that stage, and it had already helped re-shape my body a lot...the time had come to start doing more!

I wasn't scared of it making me bulky funnily enough, but I know this is a huge worry for some girls and I really do not know why. I will show you my results below..so keep reading!
At this point all I wanted was something different to change up my routine.. So my PT started me on a basic strength workout using some of the weight machines at the gym like the leg press, lateral pull down, chest press and also basic exercises like squats but using a barbell and lunges with dumbbells.
Very basic but I stuck with it for about 6 weeks. Since then I've added in some new exercises, increased weights and have started doing kettlebells more frequently as well (which is sooo fun!) and I absolutely love it.

Not only is it a nice break from smashing myself with cardio workouts and classes, but it  makes me feel strong and powerful. The exhilaration I get from being able to lift heavy weights is just awesome. In a lot of ways its kind of easier as well, because you work hard during the reps/sets..but it's all relatively short periods of 'pain' (I would call it uncomfortable), in the grand scheme of things.

I am enjoying the improvements I am seeing in my strength..and the slow increase in the weights I use:
Chest press in March was 13kg, now 15.8kg
Lateral pull down was 18kg, now 24kg
Leg Press was 40kg, now 65.7kg

My legs are getting so strong, and it's really helping me get through my beloved Body Attack classes better and stronger, with the higher intensity moves. There are just so many benefits!!

To illustrate how strength training has helped me..have a look at the difference between these photos... the time difference is 7 weeks. The weight difference is around 800 grams, so hardly anything.
When I saw this I actually screamed because the definition now showing on my waist and the reduction in my "thickness", I found incredible!! I had no idea my body could change that much!!!

































I didn't think I was doing anything out of the ordinary so to see this sort of change in 7 weeks, is better than any result I could get on the scales. This is what decent strength training does people!!!
If that's not enough proof that strength training won't make you bulky, I don't really know what is. To get "bulky" you'd have to train and eat like a body builder. Doing strength training like I have been, will not make you a body builder. ;)

If I haven't convinced you yet..other benefits of strength training are:
  • Increased energy..more endurance, more power and strength
  • Boosted metabolism
  • Better posture
  • Prevent injuries
  • Strong bones
  • Increased endorphins
  • Decreased stress
  • Body fat percentage decrease
  • Lean tissue percentage increase
  • Better sleep
  • Lots of actual health benefits like improved lung, heart function, blood pressure, circulation
  • You feel bad ass doing it 
More than anything.. I just love doing new things, changing it up all the time and pushing to the limit..Keep going everyone! Hope this helps inspire you to give strength training a go :)


    No comments:

    Post a Comment