Thursday 6 October 2016

My triple life as an Athlete, Student & HR Professional

Athlete by day, and night. Student by day..sometimes night. HR person. Eszter.
Interesting that when I wrote the title for this post, the first thing that came to mind was 'Athlete'. That says a lot to me about how much my life has changed in the last three years. I was reading through one of my old blog posts today, looking for inspiration and came across one of my favourites...'Highlights on my journey to a better me'. Check out one of my highlights:
  • No more limitations on day to day activities... simple things like picking things up off the floor, driving etc...no longer uncomfortable because of the belly being in the way.
Just wow. That part of me is such a distant memory, and it's hard to believe I used to live that way. Now I consider myself an athlete... Pretty cool, and something I want to feel forever! This just reminds me how important it is to never forget how far you have come. Even when times are tough and it feels like you are stuck, feeling sorry for yourself, which I admit I do from time to time... think of the bigger picture.

My life as a student: Two months ago I embarked on a new journey to better myself mentally and start university study via distance learning. Since then I've had an assessment in which I managed to get 46/50 and submitted a written report assessment a week ago. It has been challenging having to keep up with the reading, actually digesting it and taking in my learnings..not to mention the time commitment which is around 8hrs study per week...way more when I was working on my report (just about lost the plot haha). I never did university after college because I didn't really have a sense of direction or drive. I also never felt particularly smart...I now have way more respect for people who did this day in day out with goodness knows how many 'papers' at any one time. In a way I am glad it worked out this way though, because I think I am getting much more out of my studies having had some life and work experience.. kind of puts everything into context. I have one more exam to go in exactly a month, and then I'm one step closer to my post grad diploma...7 papers to go, probably another 3 years ;) It's worth it though...on wards and hopefully upwards in my HR career... aka the other 50% of my life. 

My life as an athlete: Tri training has been all over the show, very slow progress with my injuries, and at times hard to find motivation as I've been feeling quite tired, most days waking up tired. A big reason why I have fallen behind on my blogging.  My days look something like this: Wake up, work, study, training, bit of down time, bed. Or wake up, training, work, study, bit of down time, bed.  I basically have every little thing scheduled into my organiser, and some days things fall off, some days I miss study, some days I miss training, but I am doing my best, and that's really all that I can do, so I am happy with that.

Somewhere in there of course I have my family and friends, probably an aspect of my life that's taking the biggest hit (sorry family & friends!!) but luckily everyone is supportive of me. At the end of the day I just want to keep growing, always learning and always be challenged.. My goals give me purpose. I used to float through life being extremely average in a weird and undriven space... I guess I am making up for lost time now? Life is too short... I want to keep growing and be better as a person and a role model for my family. Everything I do is the stuff that gets me there ...even when it gets a bit stressful. 

Thought I'd share a few photos from the last few months, with the countdown on until Ironmaori - 57 days to go!! How the heck did that come around so fast!

All photos courtesy of Change Fitness :) Common themes: team. thumbs up. mainly a lot of smiles aka happiness.

A lovely evening at run group
The hard slog up Wallaceville Hill in Upper Hutt
Team finish at the brutal Upper Hutt Duathlon.. smile of relief I think!
About 6km into a half marathon - our practice for the finish line


Spot the crying face. This is at the end of said half marathon - a tough day for me.
The crew
Martinborough group ride - which included this wonderful lake, torrential rain and strong winds...in other words, a wonderful day to test everyone :) with pie at the end.

I've managed to get through the hardest part of this year and with the end now in sight and lots of exciting team events coming up, I am feeling super motivated and excited to smash this out one last time!!
Thanks for sticking by me everyone!

Does anyone remember the girl on the left? Jeepers. 




No comments:

Post a Comment