Friday 30 May 2014

Things I learned this week!


I've gotten into the 'daily grind' over the last few months so I decided to really think about weekly achievements, anything I've learned, lessons I've picked up... or just things I've realised. This is what I have learned this week:


I am addicted to body attack classes
I kind of already knew this but it was well and truly confirmed when I woke up last night in a bit of a panic after just experiencing a 'nightmare' that I turned up to Friday mornings class, rearing to go, to be told it was cancelled and moved to a lunch time spot. I remember thinking how I was going to make it work in the future with work etc but I was determined to do it. So yup..fully addicted / obsessed / crazy. Find out about this class here ..I love Les Mills and if you have one in your town and thinking of joining a gym...can't get better than LM :)

Don't over do the exercise
Because of said obsession, I decided it would be a grand idea to do a 30min attack class after my 45min boot camp on Monday. I did this the previous week, and was..bearable. While I got through both sessions.. the result was that I could hardly move and walk for three days straight.
Final bootcamp session on Wednesday was interesting to say the least!
What I learned from this is - no matter how much you love something, how much of an accomplishment it feels like to do more and to feel it in your muscles later.. there is no point over stressing your body. Do what you enjoy but also listen to your body..and when it says no, listen. In saying that - there is a huge difference between actually feeling like you shouldn't do anymore because you could injure yourself vs just can't be bothered.

 Magnesium supplements can be really important to your diet
I was researching how to get rid of the above three day long muscle pain in my entire body and came across several resources that outlined the benefits of taking magnesium supplements. It can help relax your muscles and also help sleep better at night and a whole range of other benefits. Not saying to go out there and buy it right now, but do your own research. I've been taking it for about 5 days now and I'm already starting to notice some differences!

Cut out the c.r.a.p. from your diet & break habits
When I initially started increasing my daily calorie intake, I thought AWESOME I can eat a whole bunch of stuff I haven't been able to for ages. I started eating things like weight watchers muesli bars and rice crackers, my daily breakfast was the single serve packs of porridge with "stuff" in it -  it got to a point that I was getting hungrier and hungrier, and basically dependent on these foods to get me through.
I made a decision a few weeks ago to get back to my roots..when I first started this journey, and eat only normal oats for breakfast, and snack on fruit only and a little bit of yoghurt. No more artificial sweet things, no more rice crackers etc. And do you know what? I have not been craving those foods, and the 'real' food has been keeping me going and satisfied for longer!
WIN!

10,000 steps per day = important
I recently acquired a Fitbit pedometer and all I can say is WOW, what an eye opening experience it has been so far. My day job is at a desk all day.. and while I knew that back in the day I didn't exercise enough, I didn't realise just how bad it was. 10,000 steps is a good goal to aim for on a daily basis.. put it this way, on a non exercise day, I am lucky to get 2000-3000 steps, even with walking to work from my car/train station. I will be doing a separate post soon on my findings on the fitbit, so keep an eye out :)

Appreciate the small things
I have been making a conscious effort to do this with everything. It is so easy to get caught up in negativity and stress of our every day lives, and I think it is very important to take a step back and appreciate all the good that goes on, even if they are just small. By focusing on this, my days have been a lot happier in general :)

I found some "Rules for Being Amazing" and I think it's awesome, so just had to share:


Thanks for reading and happy weekend everyone! :)
xxx
Eszter

No comments:

Post a Comment